View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Elua's Grapevine April 2013 
Jasmine Dowayne

Artists Issue

Many of our members are a very talented, some of them are budding artists, and some are very experienced writers, painters, and dancers. The following individuals have all decided to grant us a small expose so that we may see some of their work and publish it for your viewing pleasure! Kick back, relax, and enjoy the arts~!

The Grapevine is always looking for new member submitted articles and ideas. You can submit them to any Vine Chronicler at any time during the quarter. We'll keep them safe for inclusion in the next edition!

Don't forget to let us know what you think about this issue by posting in the comments thread!

~The Grapevine Chroniclers~

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Queen

What's in this issue?

New Members
A list of those new additions among us that have joined KV since the last issue of Elua's Grapevine.

Mentor/Mentee Program
A newly introduced method of helping new members navigate our community. This program is being led by Skaldi Chieftan Lilith Kyrkogrimr.

Quotable Quotes
A collection of interesting things posted by our members in the last few months. Taken out of context, some of these are real doozies!

Chibi Invasion!
The artistic mini-me's of some of our members, created by member and artist Zarafyne Nault.

Alyssum House
A peek inside the world of Alyssum, in the words of one of its Adepts, Emera no Alyssum.

Poetry by Yosef
The poetic musings of member and poet Yosef ben Raziel.

Art by Alyse
A featured artwork by member and artist Alyse d'Ivry.

The Curse of Melisande's Diamond
An intriguing look at the troubled gemstone's track through the first trilogy. Written by our Queen.

What Am I? Contest
This issue's puzzler comes to us from Samaria no Jasmine.

Enjoy!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 pm
Leader of Wagons

New Members!

The Grapevine would like to welcome the most recent New Members to Kushielverse. They come from a wide variety of places, are intereted in all kinds of different things, and have a lot of things to say. Why don't we introduce them to you?

Balduin

Katherine

Callias Legrand

Izabella no Alyssum
Izabella has been with us once before and is a returning, recently raised member!
We're very glad to see her back among KV's active citizens.

Antoine nó Pluinceid
Antoine is also one of KV's returning citizens, and we are equally glad to have him once more among our ranks.

Announcements!

The Gentian Ritual Group will be performing a group ritual for Beltane!

Beltane is a fire and fertility festival that focuses on the coming summer and giving thanks. The group will be coming together across many different countries, time zones and faiths to raise energy and positive feelings for our community.

Facebook!

Our Facebook page is still up and running! Please remember to pop by and comment on our posts, also if you would like to make your own posts you are very welcome! You can post images as long as they don't violate facebook's terms of service :roll: , discussion topics or just a quick hello to members! If there is something you would like to see more of on the page then please let us know!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm
Leader of Wagons

Mentor/Mentee Program

In light of the influx of new members, a member of our wonderful forum has decided to assist in the slowly forging connections between the new individuals and those active people who are willing and able to help guide them around the boards. These wanders make the decision to become Junior Members, and make their way through all the available Paths within, as well as outside the walls, of our fair City. In the process, these guides help them navigate the potentials, they assist in helping those people to listen to their hearts, and they offer support in such a time as endless and experiential as a junior member's first 30 days of curiosity.

This program is organize by Lilith Kyrkogrimr, a recently raised Senior Member and now Skaldi Chieftan.

Lilith Kyrkogrimr wrote:
What is the mentoring system?
To put it simply, the mentor system is designed to help new members settle in and find their way around the site. When you first join the site, there are often a myriad of questions, from general questions about the site - Where do I find a thread to discuss...? Who do I talk to about...? How do I find/change my avatar? Where do I start? - to questions about the ranks and raising system, and the various paths that are available. Our mentors are there to answer whatever questions their mentee might have. In some cases, our citizens know where they're headed path-wise, but just want someone to talk to about life outside of the site, and that's fine too.

When did it start?
It started in mid-March, so it's been about a month now.

How long do the Mentor/Mentee relationship last?
Well as a general rule, the mentor is around until the citizen becomes a junior member on whichever path they choose, but honestly, it's between the mentor and mentee.

How did you come to organize it?
When I first joined the site, I found it all a bit overwhelming (I'm quite a shy creature, really ;)) I had no idea where to start, where I was "allowed" to post, where would be a good place to start, or where I really fit into the site. Fortunately, I made an awesome friend who took me under his wing and looked after me while I figured things out.
I don't think I'd have stuck around if he hadn't been keeping an eye on me, so I figured it might be a good idea to offer the same sort of arrangement to all of our newbies. :)

Anything else you'd like us to know?

Do I have to have a mentor?
Not at all. If you don't want a mentor, that's fine, just let me know. And if you decide later on that you might like a mentor after all, that's not a problem, just give my inbox a jingle.

Who do I ask about getting a mentor?
Me! Just give my inbox a jingle.

Can I be a mentor?
Sure, just give my inbox a jingle. Obviously, it's kind of important that you're on fairly regularly, so please bear that in mind. ;)

If I've missed anything and you have any questions feel free to give my inbox a jingle and I'll do my best to provide an answer quickly. :grin

Those who have already been granted a Mentor/Mentee pairing are as follows:

Image Image
Mirielle Frieot nó Gentian is currently mentoring Thelesis.

Image Image Image

Alan'nah Céleste Brigida de Aragonia is currently looking after Lyerly L'Envers and Alyse d'Ivry.

Image Image
Ambyre no' Valerian is paired with Katherine.

Image Image Image
Anton le Chevre is currently corrupting... I mean mentoring Yosef ben Raziel and Balduin.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm
Queen

Quotable Quotes

Quote:
Ping, ping, ping, from one location to another like a little pinball. Image
~Yosef ben Raziel~

Quote:
I like to keep it funky. Image
~Mirielle Frieot nó Gentian, about socks~

Quote:
I wanna send one [a non-romantic shout out] to my good friend Alan'nah. Who I've recently discovered is the love child of Spock and Sheldon. Image
~Anton le Chevre~

Quote:
Scared? There's no reason to be scared... just pop your shirt off and hop on the table for me... Image
~Lilith Kyrkogrimr~

Quote:
Oooo, new people...... Image
~Hilde nó Mandrake~ (considering this was posted by the Dowayne of Mandrake House, there's something very unsettling and a little scary about this quote!)

Quote:
I can cook *nods* i have a pic and two survivors to testify it. Image
~Locke no' Valerian~

Quote:
So many glittery nom noms. Image
~Alyse d'Ivry~

Quote:
I was seriously smiling so hard my face hurt. Image
~K`shandra nó Jasmine~ (this was about, of all things, a sloth)

(Author's note: we added the smileys!)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Leader of Wagons

Chibi Invasion!

Among the many talented people we have here, a recent development has been the creation of Chibis.
Yes, we are being overwhelmed by miniature versions of ourselves!
This is entirely born of the creative genius of Zarafyne Nault
and her post of chibi-wonders within Eglantine!

She has given us permission to post these for this edition of Elua's Grapevine, and so we present them to you, the Chibis!

Zarafyne Nault wrote:
So I do this thing... I make animated chibis of characters. "Chibi" if you don't know is a Japanese word and style which is exemplified by a large head and small body. Of course it's typically done in an anime artistic style as well, so bold flat colors, big eyes, chunky improbably-colored hair, flashing backgrounds, et cetera. I draw regular sketches in anime style too but the chibis are much easier to churn out since I build off existing models. Anyway.. here are some of the chibis I've done! (Some are elves and such, some are fan art, depends on where they came from.)

We're sorry! The artwork has been removed from the public version of the newsletter to protect the work of the artist. Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to view these adorable chibis!

She does take requests when she has the time, and is a very talented artists, as you can see. We at the Grapevine would like to take some of this space to thank Zarafyne for both her effort and her warm heart for sharing such a wonderfully fun talent with all of KV!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm
Alyssum Adept

Alyssum House

Alyssum, with its images of shy and modest Adepts, reluctance and hesitation, may be seen as a House that hides its beauty and sensuality as well as the most virginal maiden. Like its namesake flowers, it may be overlooked as unexceptional, part of the background rather than a featured plant in the garden. But get close enough, and you’ll notice that there is breathtaking delicacy, a sweet scent like honey that only draws you in further and invites you to linger, and a tenacity that ensures that this bloom will spread and thrive no matter what weather blows its way.

We're Sorry! The remainder of this article has been removed to protect the work of the author. Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to read the rest of this intriguing article!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Citizen

Poetry from Yosef ben Raziel

A Friend's Promise

Prenatal Ponderings
(seeded by memories of a poem I wrote many years ago)

The Fool on Two Wheels

Nocturne
(from the dream-based poetry thread in the Eglantine Literary Gallery)

We're sorry! This poetry has been removed to protect the work of the poet. Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to view his captivating poems.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Citizen

Art by Alyse

We're sorry! This artwork has been removed to protect the artist. Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to view this beautiful print.

It's a Drypoint print. I call it Lips.

I would like to explain what drypoint is. (I had no idea what it was till I took a printmaking class :? ) but here how I made it. I made it by carving into a plate of plexiglass. I covered the carved plate with ink and then wiped away the areas I did not want any ink on. The ink remained in the grooves and I left some around the grooves to help fill out the lips shape. I ran the inked up plate through a printing press to transfer onto the paper and tad-ah!

Here is a definition from About.com:
Drypoint is a traditional fine-art printing technique. Basically you scratch a design with something sharp into a smooth surface. This is the printing plate, and could be a metal such as copper or zinc, or a piece of acetate, or even cardboard. You then coat the plate with ink (usually oil-based as it dries slowly), wipe the plate with fabric (scrim) so ink remains only in the scratched groves, then print the plate.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm
Queen

The Curse of Melisande's Diamond

Legend has it that the Hope diamond has a curse. I say Melisande's diamond has one too!

We are first introduced to the diamond as Phèdre is preparing for an assignation with Melisande Shahrizai, during which they will attend Duc de Morhban's Mid-Winter Masque. A maidservant "held out one other item, a velvet slip-collar, with a diamond teardrop suspended from it...". (Dart, ch. 34) Although the necklace is worn but removed during the night, Melisande returns it to Phèdre in the morning instructing her to keep it "...for remembrance..." of their assignation. (Dart, ch. 35)

We're sorry! The remained of this article has been removed to protect the author's work. Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to read this interesting article.

Author's note: My notes regarding the novels, while considerable, are not exhaustive and only cover the first trilogy. If the diamond is mentioned elsewhere, I do not have those records to draw from.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm
Jasmine Second

And now, time for the latest contest!

What Am I?

What is this object and who does it belong to?

We're sorry! This is a members only contest! Please log in or create a Kushielverse membership to participate.

:rainbow The winners will be announced in the next issue! :rainbow

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 pm
Queen

Thank you for taking the time to read this issue of the Grapevine!

We appreciate your time and looking forward to our next issue in July!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A huge thank you to our contributors!!

Image Image Image Image

Zarafyne Nault, Emera no Alyssum, Yosef ben Raziel, Alyse d'Ivry

Chroniclers for this issue:

Image Image Image Image

Jadeh, Samaria, Alan'nah, Tallare

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]